Vibram Komodo Sport and HSBC WalkRunCycle

Monday, May 23, 2011

When I was a kid, I used to jog around my village. A 6km run was normal back then. I ran without a pair of shoes. Barefoot.

During my study at secondary school and in the institution, I seldom exercised. I was only at my peak stamina when in Year 9-11. I won 10th place during my final year in secondary school in 2003. Nothing major.
When I started working, i realised my fitness level went from bad to worst. Early 2010, I put some effort to gain back my fitness and go for a healthy lifestyle.

I bought armband from the internet for my phone coz I need it to hear music during running as well as to record my time and distance. I used sportypal to track my activities.

My old shoe, New balance, which I bought for less than 30 at Tutong town had been so loyal to me until April this year when I decided to buy a new shoe. I like the old shoe coz it is very comfy and didn't hurt my legs much. I never use it to run for more than 4km in a day. The shoe has comes to its end of life period coz it is now starting to tear apart.

Then, I saw a friend updated her status at twitter about this HSBC event a month ago. It was a charity event to raise money for Pusat Ehsan, KACA and SMARTER Brunei. More info at www.walkruncycle.com I signed up for it and didn't realise I couldn't run with the new shoe. I wanted to join the 8km fun run so bad. haha.

Fortunately, I have a number of friends who like to jog too. They suggested to me to go for Vibram. Vibram? okay... i never heard the brand before nor that i ever see any of the shoes. I browse through their official site at http://www.vibramfivefingers.it/eng/ and straight to fall in love with Komodo Sport. I asked the price at one of my friend. He said the shoe cost 190+ in singapore. WTH??? I was speechless. What's so special about the shoe since the price is too expensive. Their specialty? Barefoot experience. Yes. BAREFOOT.


I did my research and read some reviews about the shoe. The review has
been very positive and highly recommended for those who like to do jog, trekking and sprint. You can go for other sports too, they have a wide range of shoes for different sports. I asked my friend who went to Singapore for training to buy the shoe for me. I got it on hand at 3/5/2011 and started running on it since then.

It feel weird and you can feel the road, rocks and uneven surfaces when you jog with it at first. I tried to jog on a 3km, uneven surfaces, small rocks and pebbles. It was awesome and i was afraid if I stumbled during my run. haha.

It took me 2 weeks to get used with the new shoe and run more than 20km to get ready with this HSBC event. Oh... this was also my first run event with the public after more than 10 years.
Geez!

The event was 8km run.... I only trained myself to jog 6km (max) and the best time taken was 37mins. Okey... not bad for a lazy runner like me. LOL. Most of the time, I only trained on track and at night. The performance will be differ if you run on road and during the day where humid is high, you will feel tense and dehydrated fast.

The day came... HSBC WalkRunCycle event. I had a mixed feeling to jog or not to jog since the weather was raining. My brother and I reached SOAS field at 6.15am and we took some pictures. Not so many though. haha. The event was divided into walk/run/cycle for 8km and cycle for 45km. Gasp! 45km??? okay... Cycling is not so me (who knows in the future i join!). The event was delayed a bit... too bad i didn't set my sportypal on active mode to record my run. BIG SIGH. I was anxious if I couldn't make it to finish line and collapsed in the middle. LOL.

It took us less than 45mins to complete the run (I think~ coz i didn't time it). It was awesome to see hyper people running non-stop despite light raining that morning. Even runners on costume dress ran faster than non-costume. shame! :p but it was a fun walk, run and cyle event. Every bodies were winners though didn't win anything in lucky draws :)

I saw many of my friends too. Kel was there too! *thanks to you for letting me know about this HSBC event!* :D

Courtesy of anakbrunei.org

1 comment

  1. My relatives all the time
    say that I am killing my time here at net, but I know I am getting know-how daily
    by reading such nice posts.

    ReplyDelete

 

Popular Posts

Visits

web traffic statistics

Recent comments